Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

KITCHEN RENO



I got sick of looking at my kitchen and decided that it's time to do something about it. The whole house is somewhat under reno mode since my husband took apart the doors, mouldings and other things. I thought that I would take apart the kitchen. Our kitchen it quite small and cramped. I wanted to extend the kitchen into the dining area but due to lack of monies I decided to put that project on hold. So to make the kitchen more pleasing, since we spend 75% of our time in this area of the house,I thought I'd brighten it up a bit.



The cabinets are oak. The above first three pictures show more of the true colour than the last one.

The appliances are old and mismatched. The range has a mind of it's own. You cannot set your desired temperature it selects one for you. The dishwasher & fridge are fine but I prefer them in stainless steel. Maybe hubby will buy me new appliances when he sees how beautiful the cabinets look and the old appliances need replacing!

I will be sanding, priming and painting the kitchen cabinets. I have chosen a cream for the cabinets. I decided to leave the counter as is. I've taken down most of the backsplash. OMG...this was hard work and I am not done yet. I do take an awful lot of breaks since the weather is sooo hot!!!


I took out the tiles around the window and noticed that the previous owner cut off part of the windowsill and then they tiled over it. They even tiled inside the windowsill. I have to figure out a way to fix that. I thought I'd frame the window but I don't know what to do with the inside of the sills. Any ideas?

I haven't decided what kind of tiles to use for the backsplash. I was debating between cream subway tiles, coloured glass mosaic tiles, or tumbled marble. I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment